Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I know....I know.....

I did it again....waited a week to post.
So. Where to start. Joshua was moved back to the floor last Wednesday. :) We are in Room 4025 now. One door down from the other space. This room is ok. It is a smaller but it does the trick. I don't think I would complain much if the shower was bigger!!

It has been a pretty quiet week. Joshua was in a little funk for a few days. But was much better come Saturday.

I talked to Dr Law today and was told that the transplant is a go and we can get him listed. I wish that it didn't have to be such a complicated case. He has some good things going for him. He is healthy and big. Being bigger really has an advantage as far as getting hearts goes. He is also post Glen which is good and most certainly in his favor. He has some issues that are certainly not going to work in his favor. Pretty scary scenarios but the fact is he is not going to live without it. He may or may not live with it but at least there are odds. This is most certainly a time for prayers!! He is sensitized. His percentage is over 90%. That means that his body is going to aggressively attack a heart from over 90% of the population. They are going to be talking to experts to see what can be done to help with decreasing the chance of rejection. We would LOVE to see him have the opportunity to have a "negative" heart. The chances are super slim so we will probably accept a "positive" heart and do what we can to get Joshua's body to not attack. They have done this with success but there is no real data one way or the other. He is also at a higher risk for rejection later on because of these antibodies. He is also going to be higher risk because of his double Glens. It will make for a very tricky and complicated surgery. One of the fears is that he will have limited blood flow and would have to have stints placed. There is again high risk because they will be located at suture sites. The risk is that while ballooning to create better blood flow and reduce pressures, he could bleed out. We would certainly hope that none of things are issues but we all need to remember that this transplant is in no way a fix all and comes with high stakes.

Dr Law also talked about replacing his PICC line with a Broviac Line. This is a more permanent line. There is data to support that this type of line carries less risk of infection.

So....what does all this mean? Soon, we will probably see him go to IR for the new line placement in the near future. He will finish up the catch up immunizations and the Doctors will talk to the experts to see what the plan is for the immuno-suppression. The Transplant Coordinator will be in to talk to me and get my consent for the transplant.

The most shocking news to me today was the fact that Dr Law didn't feel that we would have him listed for as long as I had decided he would be. :) (Not that we have any pull in this department.) He just said to get ready and get mentally prepared....this could all happen very quickly. Going home in the next few months may be a reality.


I told him I will be patient and I will be here as long as Joshua needs to be. I don't care when I get home as long as Joshua is with me.

Blessings,

Leah


*** so after such a "heavy" post thought you should have some happy thoughts to take away. These were taken this afternoon. He is getting SO strong.



Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Update

Well Joshua is still in the ICU. I assume that he will be moved tomorrow. Seems there were no beds on the floor. Gives me one more day to recoup! :)

I met with Dr Law. It seems that Joshua's antibody study is done and he is what they refer to as "sensitized". Evidentally he has a really high level of antibodies built up from the cavadar tissue that they used to build up his aortic arch. This really complicates things but I wish I could explain it to you. I will be reading up and gaining knowledge and then I will let you know more. There are plans in place if he is accepted to go forward with the transplant. I will fill you in on the details as I better understand them.
For now please just pray that he remains healthy and strong and that the Dr's are making the best decisions possible for him.
I also am reaching out to you to please pray for us as a family. We need to make some pretty big decisions about where the children will be located while James is in treatment and we are waiting for Joshua's heart. Right now Trevor is living with Grandpa and Grandma but he is really missing me.....probably not NEAR as much as I am missing him. I have thought about moving him here with me and home schooling him but that opens up many other issues too. I hate not having all my children with me together. As a mom you never plan on having your heart in so many places. Each one of them holds a section and I just don't feel complete without all of them by my side. I know that it will happen as it is supposed to but right now I am just having a very hard time.
Please love on your little ones a little extra today. :)
Blessings,
Leah

The order is in....

We are going back to the floor. Joshua has been doing really well so they feel that he can go back to the floor. He is still on the Milrinone but I guess if you are waiting for transplant then you can have that and still go to the floor. He has been doing really well. Last night when he was sleeping his heart rate was......<<<<>>>> 128!! WOW
He only stayed there for about 15 minutes but hey...128! Yesterday he was pretty much in the 140's awake and 130's asleep. Today he has been in the 157-163 range. His O2 has been in the high 70's to low 80's. He has been full of smiles.
Oh, and I must also mention his new talent. He is the KING of blowing raspberries!! Pretty fun.
Dr Law is supposed to come and talk to me today. I am so glad that they will be following him on the floor.
Love,
Leah and Joshua

Monday, October 20, 2008

FINALLY!

I am finally feeling better and was able to go to see Joshua. His nurse said she thought it would be a good idea for me to come up because he was in a funk. I put on a mask and away I went. :) He was very happy to see me and perked up. We played for a while and then he decided it was nap time. It took him a while to settle because he kept making sure I was still there. I did sneak out when the nurse came back from lunch. It is VERY hard to sit there wearing the masks for too long. :-(
He seemed to be doing pretty well although he is a little puffy. Dr Jeffries is on this week and has already started making changes to get some fluid off. I also got to chat with Dr Law. We are going to be meeting tomorrow to "talk transplant". They were waiting for a sonogram of his abdomen to see if he has another effusion. Looks like he has something going on but probably not enough that itneeds to be tapped. HOPEFULLY.
I will be going back up after supper to hang out with him again for a couple hours.
Love,
Leah

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Night

Well~I still can't go to the hospital. I am starting to feel better today but the nurse asked that I not come in. :-( I asked the nurse tonight to call the charge and see why I can't come in with a mask for just a little bit so that I can see my baby. It is killing me not being able to see him. It has almost been a week. It was one thing to miss him and know that I was 2 states away....it is another to be a block away.
I hear that he is doing ok. Still on oxygen. They slowed down his oral feeds and started him back on TPN today. His xray this morning showed that he has extra fluid in his lungs.....sounds like the effusion is sneaking back. I guess the plan is to slow down the food and hopefully his body will absorb the extra fluid. (I think...I have not been involved in rounds so I can't say for sure.)
I am very thankful that Meredith is with him tonight. FINALLY a nurse that I know!!! This whole week that I have been out I have spoken to people that I don't know. I don't like the feeling of not knowing who is with my baby. *sigh*
Conference tomorrow....not sure if Joshua is up for discussion or not. Dr B asked to reschedule out transplant meeting until I am better. I will update when I know something. Please pray that I will be able to kick this cold soon and be able to be there with my baby!!
Take care,
Leah

Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday

Hello friends,
I don't have a lot to tell you because I am still not going to the hospital to see my little Joshua. It is killing me, but I know that a cold right now could really set him back. It is better safe at this point.
So, I am a little saddened that I was not there today when they TOOK HIS CHEST TUBE OUT! HOOORAY!! :) I have called several times and they always say that he is doing good. He spent some time in the exer-saucer playing and enjoyed that. I miss him so much!
He did spike a temp today so they are running all the cultures on him.
I met with the social worker today. That went pretty well. I really like her so that helps ease the old nerves. They ask a lot of questions but nothing I can't handle. Now.....she did say that I was one of the most sane people that she had ever met.....HHHMMMM???? :)
Also, please be sure to add Trevor to your prayer list. He is sick right now. He was crying and asking me when I was coming home so I know he is not feeling well. It absolutely breaks my heart that I can't be there to cuddle with him when he is sick. :-(
Love to you all.
Leah