Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cranky Cranky baby

Well Joshua has still not really slept. He took a snooze from 5:30 am to a little after 7 am. Today he has slept a total of about 2 hours. He will not stop crying and nothing seems to comfort him. I feel so bad that there is nothing making him happy or comfortable.
All of his #'s for today look ok. He is again, as always, a mystery. They will continue to watch him and see what presents itself. *sigh*
Dr Lewis-Newby asked what my 'maternal' instincts said. All I could do was shrug. By the way that he is acting, I would be inclined to say that it is his teeth. But one would think that at some point the drugs would have to curb teething pain. He has had Tylenol and bolus after bolus of Dilaudid. They even gave him Chloro last night and it didn't work either. He can't have orajel or any homeopathic version of that. He won't use a teething ring. He basically doesn't want anything in his mouth. And whiskey is out of the question ;-)! So.....I am totally out of ideas!
Trevor and my parents are coming over tomorrow night. I am so excited to see them.
Shyla had her college assessment today! :) (YOU GO GIRL! I love you and am proud of you~mom) And Trinity was enrolled in preschool today. She will start on Monday. FUN FUN!
I can't believe how much they are all growing. You blink and they turn 18. Sheesh.

4 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

I hope Josh starts to feel better soon. I'd say it's his teeth, but there's not much you can do for him. I let Owen chew on a vibrating toothbrush?? I know... it's random.

Whatever works. Poor guy.

Praying for you to feel better buddy!

mrsrubly said...

poor baby! i will say an extra prayer for you too momma! you are doing an excellant jOB!!! keep up the strength and good work!

Dedra said...

My heart baby is 14 now and I feel God is using your blog to prepare MY heart for an upcoming procedure with him--I'm surprised to be dealing with grif and pain I thought was long gone only to find I simply buried-it-alive. You unknowlingly encourage me, and I find myself praying for your son, for you, and for your family when I catch myself fretting about the next step in our personal journey. I find myself wanting to tell you things...

..like follow your gut and campaign to hold that baby more. I know it's complicated, but so is just about everything they do for sick babies--you said something in your last post that I believe it true: there's comfort AND healing in your arms.

We had issues with the crying/screaming too one surgery. I suspect the older babies add to their pain anger, frustration, fear, and bordom. No doubt, teething doubles all. He's having a bad dream and it's not ending. Fussing didn't help, so he's amped it up--the SOS distress cry. Try softly/slowly (so as not to over-stimulate) stroke his brow or leg while humming little songs in a lyrical voice using simple words/concepts he understands using very few words and notes. (chant-like)

One of our songs:

Owie. Owie.
Mommy loves you.

or this one:

baby, baby
baby, baby


Teething: see if they'll let you dip those sponges in a water bottle or sterile water supply and freeze them in stacked ziplocks.
Partially thaw before use.

We will be down from AK later this spring--either where you are or south in Portland. I'd love to meet you, but may God grant that you're home healing with Joshua by then.

Dedra

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys are doing a little better. You and your family our in my family's prayres. Leah you are an inspiration to me and my family. If you need anything you call me. Love, Jen Zimmerman