Monday, March 9, 2009

Monday March 9th

So I wish I had more of an update for everyone, but I don't. I can tell you what I do know...even though it is not much.
Joshua appears to be feeling a little better. He has not had a fever but is a little clammy. He was awake for a while last night and interacted with me and some today. He is tiring rather easily.
Dr Law came in and we chatted about the events over the last several days. Joshua is in rejection. The big why...is why now....6 weeks post transplant and not sooner. The best that we can come up with is that it started last week when his Cyclo level dipped WAY down into the 40's. The desired level is in the 200's. We tossed around some idea's as to why it may have dipped down but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. The level dropped and that could have been what started the rejection. He did a course of steroids called MethylPred and it is unsure at this point as to whether it helped or not. His BNP (happy heart #) went from 1700 to 400 to 2800!! You want this # to be VERY low. I remember when he was starting heart failure way back last summer his BNP was 89. I panicked because I thought the # was out of 100....its not! :) 89 is looking MIGHTY good right now!
The did another echo today and are working on getting his electrolytes back into balance. They are all over the place again. He is still on the ventilator but they did wien his settings a little more today. He looks like he is working a little harder now...so we will see what happens. They did an ultrasound of his lungs again to see if they needed to move the left chest tube. There doesn't appear to be much fluid in there but we are still waiting on the formal report. The haziness on the xray could just be from the pneumonia he had in his lungs.
Dr Law was out last week and now that he is here seems pretty concerned about Joshua and this rejection. Maybe there should have been a little more concern expressed last week from other doctors. I have learned to wait and only panic when they do. We are not in panic mode yet but very perplexed as to the what and why with this episode. Please be in prayer for Joshua as he again works over these hurdles. I will keep you all posted.
Leah

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My prayers are with Joshua and your family.

The Simmons Family said...

I am so sorry! You're just rolling with the punches... I know all too well how that is. I'm so scared with these high antibodies that #1. they won't find a heart. #2. rejection

We're praying for Josh everyday. I don't even know what they do for rejection?! I don't know how you do it, but you are an amazing example to me! I know all to well that we will be in your position anytime. Thank you for sharing Josh's story with us. It means more than you'll ever know!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey!!! I wish I were there so I could give you the hug I know you so need!!! We are praying for Joshua and your family! Remember you are always loved and we are thinking about you and your Family!
Little Joshua you start on your rebound so I can meet you soon and give you those hugs you also deserve! Love you all! Love Julie and Doug

Mimi said...

Oh Mr. Josh love on that heart!!

Mia will be there tomorrow to give you a little pep talk young man!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah~
(cousins of Karlee)
Joshua continues to be in our prayers. I am so excited you get to see your family soon! That will give you such a boost~take it all in, and keep on keeping on.
Trudi