Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wednesday (Supper time)

Joshua is continuing to improve today. Compared to the last couple days I think we should classify it as "leaps and bounds" better. His chest tube was removed this morning. They have been doing "pounding" therapy every 2 hours to open up his left lung. It is rather amusing to watch. I know it doesn't hurt him but they actually whack him with a little contraption of a preemie oxygen mask taped to a throat stick. It sounds pretty bad because the air gets in the center of the mask but I know it doesn't hurt. And it works REALLY good. :) All his #'s are much better and his chest xray is clearing up. The virus swab still hasn't produced anything and now we are on contact restriction as opposed to viral precautions so we got to loose the masks. We are still in gowns and gloves and judging by Dr Jeffries joking comment....we will be in them for a while.

Several people have asked about the child (now I know a girl) that is next door to Joshua. She seems to be doing much better. Less people in there tending to her, which is always a good sign. She had surgery today and both parents seem to have had a little weight lifted off them.

My mom called me today and it sounds like her and my dad will be coming up Friday when James flies home. My mom will stay until Tuesday and then come back and get my dad the following weekend. It will be helpful having someone else here with me. I may even be able to get Trevor up here for a couple days. :)

Dr Jeffries said that it will probably be a couple weeks before Joshua will be healthy enough to go on the bypass machine and have the glenn surgery. I don't know if all that time will be in the ICU or not. It depends on the medications that he is on. My preference would be the ICU over the floor. The care and people up there are awesome and I know they are ready for any bumps in the road. You never want your child to be sick enough to have to be in the ICU but if they are sick...then you want them there!

I will update when we get back from the hospital tonight. We just went to RMcD House A for dinner. It was very good and now we are heading back.

Leah