Tuesday, October 14, 2008

And if I didn't like him so much.....

I probably would have thrown something at him. At who.....DR BADEN. He came in, smiled and just said "hmmm....look....137 days."
AAAHHHHHH are you serious!! I can't believe that it has been that long since James and I drove our little Joshua over here expecting no more than a 30 day stay. *sigh*
So. Joshua is having a really good day. I dressed him in a new outfit that James and I bought him when I went back to Missoula. It was fun to see him dressed again. Of course....he has been puking since I dressed him. So far we have been spared having to change him. We placed the NG tube back in just a minute ago. Sad to see him have to have it again but happy to know that he will FINALLY be able to get something to eat. I can't imagine no food for 5 weeks. We tried oral feeds yesterday. He loved getting something to eat in his mouth but is not yet proficient enough to get a decent amount. He will start Monogen today and hopefully be up to full feeds sometime tomorrow. We also started him on Milrinone yesterday. I can't see much a difference and we weren't sure that we would see any changes but Dr Boucek thought it was worth a try. He has been fever free for the last couple days and we are also going to talk to ID about stopping the antibiotics for now. Dr Baden (who redeemed himself with this next statement) said that we will get an x-ray in the morning and if his lungs look the same we will probably pull the chest tube out!! :) I still may request one or two more days just to make sure that we don't have issues when we start feeds. We will see what he thinks. Most of me wants to totally agree with him and take the darn thing out but I also feel the need to error on the side of caution. I would hate to see him have to go through another placement of one. We will see what tomorrow brings. It only put out 6 yesterday. Weird. Seems we get moved into the ICU and he just starts making changes for the better. I think, personally, it is because he gets to see all his girlfriends now. :)
I am feeling a little more at ease today with the thought of transplant. I am sure that I be wavering back and forth for a bit between ease and anxiousness. All of the components of this make me feel a little uneasy. I have to go through an evaluation to make sure that I am a "fit parent" or something to that nature. They want to make sure that I am responsible enough to follow through with all his needs before he can be listed. I am confident that they will find me totally able! :) Then I will have to meet with the financial counselor. I am pretty nervous about this part. I don't yet know what insurance will cover and what they won't. I am not sure that financial aid will help with the cost of the transplant or not. I am confident in knowing that if it is God's will for him to get a new heart, then He will also provide the financial means to do so. But somewhere inside me....I still feel a little nervous. They will also do dental screening, blood tests, tissue test, and antibody studies on him. That is just the little that I actually know. :( I thought about reading up internet but decided against it. I don't need any additional stress at this point. I will take it day by day and just deal with the pieces that are brought in front of me.
I have some prayer requests today, in addition to Joshua of course. :) We have some little friends that just need to be lifted up. Joshua has a little NICU roommate named Lucas. I don't know what ails him but I know he has had a real rough night. He is 2 weeks old and about as cute as they come. His family had not been here since the afternoon that we moved. I don't know why but please pray for all of them. I also ran into Jen, Gracie's mom, and she is back in the ICU because of Serratia in her chest incision. Please pray for Gracie that she be healed quickly and completely so they may go back home. They are a wonderful family and I would love for them to be able to take her home and just love on her there. Also, Tyler and his family are really having a difficult time right now. He has been having fevers again. He was supposed to have an MRI this morning but I haven't heard that results yet. His mom, Bambi, is really feeling the stresses of being here in the hospital.
Also, my dad is traveling back to Missoula right now. Please pray for safe travels for him as he goes home. It was a very hard parting today. He will surely miss seeing Joshua daily. It was a real blessing having him here with us this last couple months.
Thanks for checking in on us and listening to me "babble". :)
Blessings,
Leah

No comments: